Saturday, January 3, 2009

And Then He Was Three

It really does seem like yesterday that he was born. How did we get here?


I love that all of my Christmas memories will involve Brooks, not only because he is my son, but he was born at Christmastime in 2005, which, I am sure will always be my favorite Christmas.

Brooks' birthday officially started off the season for us this year and rightfully so. It has been a great year for Brooks with many ups and some down times too.

Ups Include:
Busy, happy boy
Curious boy
Talkative boy
Running in circles
Big Boy Bed
Big Boy Undies
The "news" house
Grandmas and Grandpas
Super swimming
Joy School
Music Class
New Teeth
Great singing
Lots of tractors

Downs Include:
Busy, happy boy
Curious boy
Talkative boy,
Running in circles etc., etc., etc.

I did make a mad dash late one Saturday night in frantic search of a book about parenting toddlers. My methods certainly seemed inadequate at the time. But, what makes Brooks sometimes difficult to parent are the very reasons we love him. He is the light in our lives and brings so much joy and energy to our home everyday. He loves people and life and considers everyone his "friend." I have a heart full of gratitude that three years ago, he came into our world. We journey together, and there aren't any others I would rather be on this journey with. I love you Brooks. Happy 3rd Birthday.



14 comments:

Kristen said...

awh, he is such a big boy, and very handsome if I do say so! Love his cake too erin, looks great! Happy belated birthday Brooks!!

Molly said...

What a beautiful post for such a darling boy! We love Brooks and Ike's friendship with him. He is full of such fun and adventure! Happy Birthday Brooks!

Mel said...

Happy Birthday Brooks! He is such a little man. I can't believe we just celebrated Bridger's 2nd. You can tell Brooks is a happy kid - you are doing a great job!

Aspen said...

Did you seriously make that cake? And if so, how much time did that take you? It is spectacular! Brooks is such a cute kid, no surprise. So glad to hear you are enjoying your time with him.

Phoebe said...

The cake is pretty impressive. Perfect choice for the YouTube obsessed little boy:)
Happy Birthday Brooks!

Macy said...

I love that smile of his in the last photo. What a cutie, and so full of life. I love how much Brooks loves life. We love Brooks!

Raina said...

3 years seems to have gone too fast! He looks so handsome and mature. :D That cake looks amazing too! Happy Birthday Brooks.

Erin said...

I should clarify, bryan made the cake. Thought it up in his little engineering mind. Impressive, no?

Fancy Nancy said...

WOW! I can't believe Brooks is 3? Time flies when you are having so much fun! He is such a love. What a treat for us to get to spend quality time with all of you this holiday...we LOVED it and we MISS you!!! Tell Brooks I am working on my Jumpaline moves!!! Bryan really made that cake? Impressive!

j and k said...

Happy Bday Brooks! He's getting so old...and more handsome by the minute! What a cutie! I love the cake...highly impressive Bry!

cryssal said...

What I love about Brooks is that he is you and Bryan through and through, with just a little twist, and it makes us miss him (and you all) so much (yes, I am crying right now!). I LOVE the cake. Perfect! I am impressed that Bry would even try! We need to catch up soon, and hear all about your holiday!

Jen said...

By the way, that last comment is from me, Jen, my computer was still logged on as Crystal from her visit! Oops!

cryssal said...

Whoa, I thought I was getting all mushy and forgot about it! He is a darling boy, the craziness is what makes boys so fun!

Andrea said...

What a handsome guy! Just found your blog during my blog surfing binge tonight! Darling! Hope to see you soon!

my sunshine