Monday, February 11, 2008

Eddie, and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Well, we have arrived in Salt Lake City. We drove out a week before any of our stuff arrived. Eddie, the driver of the moving truck would call periodically throughout the week to keep me updated on his estimated arrival date.



I should have taken cues from the way we were packed up in Portland. He arrived at 9:00 am and didn't leave until a little after 5:00. Not your typical E.Q. move. Needless to say, Eddie never seemed to be in much of a hurry. Our delivery date moved from Friday to Saturday, then to Monday. Ahhh, here is where the problem lies.



All weekend the news was reporting the incredible storm sure to hit SLC on none-other than Monday morning. This wasn't just any storm, they were reporting a "big one." I notified Eddie of the storm. Not knowing he is also a weather man, he assured me it would blow over. Monday was to be the day.



Monday morning, we woke to beautiful blue skies and sunshine. Maybe Eddie really was on to something. Until the moving truck arrived. The black clouds came too. With them, snow like I've never seen. It was swirling snow, pounding snow, snow coming down faster than most rain. The ramp leading into the truck soon looked like a hill made for sledding. They would literally just slide down it. I couldn't believe it and tried to reschedule for the next day. Eddie wouldn't budge. I spent the day apologizing to the 2 movers for their frost-bitten toes and wet clothes. They were so nice, but my stomach was in knots all day.






Towards the end of the day, the snow let up, allowing us to assess the damage that had been done. Nearly 2 feet of snow had fallen. Eddie was anxious to get his truck out and on the road. Without his buddies, who were still in our house helping, Eddie decided he would get the truck out on his own, later admitting that his truck was so big, he couldn't see the sides or the back of the truck. Sounds pretty safe, I know.



Of course, Eddie got stuck and slid backwards down the street jack-knifing his truck, back-end on neighbors driveway, across the street, front-end on neighbors lawn, next door. At his best efforts to get out, he continued to rev that engine and spin those tires. It didn't work, and soon the lawn next door was spinning out all around the truck, leaving a good size hole, probably 3 feet deep and about the same width. Fabulous way to make a first impression.




Eddie and sand bags to keep his truck from sliding. Oops.









Finally, after each and every neighber got off of their porches from watching such a scene, they grabbed their shovels, snow-blowers, and ice melt and kindly helped dig Eddie out. Two hours after the ordeal began, Eddie made his exit. Leaving behind an ulcer, a complete nut case, and a phone number for any damage done. Call 1-888-dingbat!

5 comments:

Fancy Nancy said...

Sounds like you've got something going for Eddie! I do have to say that they were the slowest movers I have ever seen! Lots of smoke breaks... My mom called me the morning of your move and told me of the massive blizzard occuring with the black clouds. Bless your heart, your new hardwood floors, the neighbors for helping Eddie and the truck, the ulcer and of course Eddie the man! He's kind of cute Erin... Hurray the moving is over! Glad to see you finally got service and are up and blogging again!!!

Kristen said...

Just think how much your neighbors will love you after you take over a homemade Massey classic desert treat...it will be an instant hit, Grass? What hole?

Jen said...

Oh, what an ordeal! That Eddie! What I want to know, is where is the picture of your house? How am I supposed to rest easy when all you've shown me is white white WHITE snow and no house. I am worried my little Brooks is sleeping on the streets of snowy town USA.........please make me feel better and post houses of your new home before I go crazy! Oh, and I say just put snow in the whole in the neighbors lawn. The groundhog says we have a long time before anyone will even notice.

Phoebe said...

Eddie sounds like a gem! How is it that it took him so long to get from Portland to SLC? Even if he was picking up and delivering other stuff it seems pretty long.

j and k said...

Eddie is the man...he combines the perfect combination of stressful moving and doubly stressful moving experiences. Really, who could ask for more? I too really want to see your house! I'm sure it is darling! We miss you so much!

my sunshine