Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Music To My Ears

Alright, so I was given the challenge to create a CD of some of my favorite tunes. A sort of retrospect of my life. I was excited and eagerly up to the task. In preparation, I made a list of songs I thought were my faves. When the list began, it was a very manageable mix. A few songs here and there that would all fit nicely on one CD.

But soon the list grew. It grew, and grew, and grew. Out came a new list filled with far too many songs than I knew what to do with. I read my list to Bryan, certainly, he would help narrow it down, only to realize I had forgotten a few. I needed more help.

So next, to my best bet, Paige, who knows my music almost better than I do. Sure enough, as we sang for 1 hour and 45 minutes of her precious cell phone time, (sorry Paige, I owe you $$) I realized my list had somehow grown.

Then, more hours on the phone singing to friends, sleepless nights, no kidding, and way too much money on itunes, I finally had to do what I was so dreading. Dave Matthews, I am sorry, you got the boot. I still have one of yours on my list, however. Also cut were a couple of Counting Crows, Oingo Boingo, 10,000 Maniacs, only to name a few.

I realize this sounds utterly ridiculous. And it is. I just couldn't believe all the memories and emotions attached to certain songs. I couldn't just cut out memories, it would be like leaving out a piece of my life, boyfriends, stomps, crazy dates, a Land Cruise breaking down and having to jump the fence to Lagoon from the freeway, and on and on.

Needless to say, my CD was eventually finished and I was able to squeeze 21 songs onto my little disc. Even though I couldn't fit all I had hoped, The Best of Erin Massey will have volumes 1 through at least 100.

So here's the question, how is it that music can be more nostalgic than almost anything else? Second, what songs bring back the most memories for you and why? A little U2, some Pearl Jam or maybe even Neil Diamond? Who knows? Can't wait to hear.

15 comments:

j and k said...

Well, if you heard me sing in the shower, you might just change your mind about favorites...it's just a thought! I must say I'm reaping the beautiful benefits of such a mix, and I anticipate hitting you up for volume after volume. And, a second thought...I'm having mix master remorse. I think I'm due for a volume two! Miss ya!

j and k said...

By the way...it's about bloody time you blogged. WHat are you, molasses, boy? Come on...I need the Erin blog fix more frequently!

Fancy Nancy said...

It was so hard to narrow down... I still am upset I could not fit more songs than you. I was only at 19, you win!

To attempt to answer your questions. Songs just seem to capture the moment and remind you of where you were, who you were with and what you were doing. I guess music kind of is the trigger for your mind and memories. I have loved listening to your mix! OH MY, STARRY EYE SURPRISE......

Kristen said...

yes, I second Kim, welcome "Home"! Awesome post by the way, you got the ol' wheels turning again :) I love you mix, there are just so SO many more I could have added as well, There is nothing like the right song to take you through a time warp back to the day we first heard it, theres just something about music, and I am So glad I get to benefit from yours!

Jen said...

Songs and smells, those are the two that take me down memory lane.........or set adrift on memory bliss! They can hit you will sadness or pure bliss on an otherwise ordinary day. BTW, my Erin's faves CD is not working, can you burn me another?

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Jen, I will get you a new one. Kim, why such harsh words? Can't we all just get along?

j and k said...

Teasing teasing Erin! I just simply can't get enough of you, that's all! And, of course Brooks because he's one good looking dude!

Macy said...

Erin, this post cracked me up. I want a copy of this cd. What song reminds you of the landcruiser brake down. I had to laugh thinking of that night. What was I thinking? Driving from Provo to K-town with the engine light on.

BTW, I love Erin Morgan Massey music. There is so many tunes that remind me of you.

Erin said...

I believe we were harmonizing perfectly to Madonna's "Crazy For You" with Kelli Cullimore as the third part. Not sure... but that's what I think of when I hear that song. Ring a bell?

Macy said...

I really can't remember, but that sounds about right.

Mike and Paige Burgin said...

I was in the Land cruiser on that Fateful night, and poor little Val Hymas. She got thrown in to our crazy mix for an entire weekend only to break down on the freeway just down the street from her house.

On another note, Whenever I hear "Oh Oh, the sweetest thing. . ." I will always think of the rainy day, and the flat tire and, and the layton post office, and the DART-MOBILE. . . ahh the memories! Love ya. And thank you for calling me that night. I had a blast!

Bryan said...

Certain musical selections do bring back memories. Whenever I listen to Rage Against the Machine's Bombtrack, thoughts of racing my 1965 Buick against Mark Kitrell's VW Scirocco at 90 mph along the backroads of Kaysville flood my memory...oh wait, um, that didn't happen.

Erin said...

Thanks for the comment babe! Might be best to keep most of your Rage Against the Machine memories under wraps. Just a thought. Love you still.

Raina said...

Oh.. I am so glad for new music, because if life offered only the same ol songs, my voice would be a gonner, and I'd still be singing like crazy to the Ataris, or Dave, or... (the list). I can't believe you cut Dave! Thanks for sharing the CD... i'm still loving it.

my sunshine